DATING+LOVE=???

Thursday, February 17, 2011

It's JUST A DAY!

      On Valentines day I stated on my facebook page, "make today as you should everyday, celebrating the ones you love and not just who you're in love with." I felt good about that statement because even though V-day is a just a bullshit "holiday" glorified to make us spend money, IT IS ABOUT LOVE. However, my facebook status was updated later after I saw so many annoying status updates either glorifying or bashing the idea of V-day. The last straw was a phone call I got from a good friend of mine, and she was at war with her boyfriend because he didn't make the day "special enough." At that point my FB posts was updated and now stated;"Why does this day make single people feel the need to stress how good they are alone? Makes lonely people want to cry? AND couples try to impress? it's just a day!!!" 
     I understand a women's need to want romance and the need to feel special...I get that because most of us are ruled by our emotions and we love the feeling of being swept off our feet. We also love attention and there's no better day then "love day" where we'll feel both of those things at one time. However, ladies our emotions should NOT rule our brains to a point where we allow a BS holiday to cause tension in our relationships! I will tell you what I told my friend; "How does he treat you on a daily basis? That is what counts, not the day!" Her response made her check herself because guess what?...HE'S A GREAT MAN who treats her well through and through! With that being said, I had single friends who labeled V-day as Single Awareness Day (SAD) and I found it extremely ironic that the initials spelled out SAD. The fact that single women have to create a day like that to prove they're "happy" about being single is sad!!! Ladies again I say IT'S JUST A DAY. Regardless of your relationship status you should be comfortable enough in your own skin to feel good about YOU and who you are. A DAY DOES NOT DEFINE WHO YOU ARE. Therefore, if you're in a relationship; What he buys you on valentine's day doesn't define who he is to you. If you're single, creating a day to celebrate that doesn't equate to who you are, it just means your love hasn't found you. When the timing is right, love will come, and I HOPE you enjoy the love holiday. However, don't let it skew your vision of the great person you have in front of you, if the day doesn't turn out to be "perfect."

*Words of advice- Don't stress the day, feel blessed and appreciate all the loved ones you have in your life 365 days of the year.  

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful T.. It opened my eyes.. I was angry at someone and this has changed my outlook.

    From: Kareese

    ReplyDelete
  2. exceptionally well and to the point thoughts Nia...I wonder before St,Valentine and his letter signed as your Valentine...weren't people falling in love or weren't they had rich lives...there are more effective and lasting ways to show love other then exchanging red on a specific day. I don't believe in rationing of love. To me its more of a verb then a feeling...

    ReplyDelete